We spend a lot of time focusing on what we are. “I’m a doctor,” “I’m a father,” “I’m a teacher,” “I’m a brain-eating monkey from the Andromeda Galaxy,” and so on.
But when it comes right down to it, what we are is just an extension of what we do.
What do you do? What do I do? These days I’m trying not to be, but to do. While I expect your list will look very different, for me this means:
- Don’t be a writer. Be writing.
- Don’t be a reader. Be reading.
- Don’t be a Chinese speaker. Be speaking Chinese.
- Don’t be a blogger. Be blogging.
- Don’t be a basketball player. Be playing basketball.
- Don’t be alive. Be living.